Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Trying Madrid

Julie and I decided to do Madrid during a 7 hour layover on our way back from Portugal. It just sounded so feasible in the comfort of our stupid, overconfident minds while we were planning our 4 day weekend trip. We just knew we would Make it Work, which of course, we did.

But it definitely wasn't the easiest thing.

In all honesty, my over-all opinion of Madrid is okay. I don't hate Madrid, but I'm not in love with it, either. There may be a few reasons for this:

1. The context: I'm entering this city for the first time after 2 hours of sleep and a 2 hour airplane flight.
2. Time: We didn't have enough time (or energy) to really see the sites we were supposed to see. Oops.
3. I have a fierce pride for Córdoba and Andaluz in general. I think I just prefer the more rural look as opposed to the modern posh scene that Madrid has. Without a doubt, Madrid is beautiful too. It's just beautiful in a posh, Upper West Side Meets Paris kind of way, whereas Andaluz is more unique. I think Julie said it best though: Madrid is like a good book, but (Andaluz) is like a good poem. It just depends on your preference, I think. No doubt if we had more time in Madrid though we would have been able to discover more. And I bet the night life there is amazing.

Anyways, here are some pictures of me and Julie trying to do Madrid. I don't know if I will get a chance to go back. In retrospect, I realized we definitely did not see the most important sites. Not even close. At least the company was good; there isn't anyone else I could have pulled this off with.

So, Madrid, I'm sorry for not giving you your due time. We tried, we really did.












No comments:

Post a Comment